March 06, 2011

WYHINWIS

No No No... there is no typo in the title of my blog and it does not need a spell check. Are you wondering what it means? I mean "WYHINWIS"...

Well, most people, especially in the IT field would be familiar with WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get). I have had many funny incidents related to communication, couple of which I have mentioned in my earlier blogs. That is what prompted me to think about this acronym similar to WYSIWYG for things related communicatoin - WYHINWIS i.e. What You Heard Is Not What Is Said.

Many a times, it so happens that we hear something that is totally different from what was actually said and I guess it happens with most of us in everyday life. But there are some that are very funny and hilarious that it gets etched in our memory. We dont forget it and also it brings a smile every time we think about it. One such incident happened in recent times. It was just a couple of months since I moved to Pune and I was not familar with Marathi, the local language (not that I am familiar with it now :P). But I have managed with my itsy bitsy hindi so far. (My better half always teases me about my "proficiency" in Hindi). This incident that I am about to describe happened in a medical shop like the "IPL ticket" episode. From the time I have moved to Pune, I have spent more time in medical shops and clinics apart from office, since my younger daughter has been falling sick very often from the time we moved in here. After one such visit to the paediatrician at Viman nagar, I went to the medical shop - "Religare" which is on the ground floor of the same building. As you enter the store, there is high probability of you spotting a highly "decked up" sales girl who spends more time in front of her hand held mirror and make up kit rather than with the customers. In my case except once, everytime I have entered the store, I have seen her with the mirror in one hand and a lipstick or a hair brush in the other. I am one of those people who does not go ga-ga over a beautiful woman and nor am I really interested in physical beauty. To me, beautiful person is someone who is beautiful at heart and mind. Trust me... I just hate the sight of the plastic coated FULLY artifical smile planted face of a certain Ms. Aishwarya Rai Bachchan. i.e. I dont find her fitting into my definition of a beautiful woman. I generally do not pass comments on someone's looks but this girl at Religare... I can't stop myself from making this comment. She definitely belongs to the "Good from far, Far from good" category. I guess I am deviating too much from what I wanted to say. So let me take a break from this sales girl and move on to the other one at the counter.

I gave the prescription the other sales girl at the counter. As she was browsing through the prescription I gave her, she looked at the other gentleman standing next to me and said "Dharu piya". I was shocked at what I just heard. I was not sure if it was a question or a statement. I know that "Dharu" means liqour and "piya" is to drink. She said it without any change in her expression. I thought she probably knew this person, but was not sure if she asked him whether he was drunk or if she just joked that she was drunk. What amazed me was that this gentleman also did not have any change in his expression and without uttering a word he paid her, collected his medicines and walked away. I was still wondering what was going on... It took me a while to understand that she just informed her the cost of his medicine, he paid and left. What she said was NOT "Dharu piya". She just said "Dha Rupaya".
"Dha" = Ten (in Marathi) and "Rupaya" = Rupees. All she said was "Ten Rupees" in Marathi. And I was unecessarily trying to understand what communication was going on between the two. Thats why I said WYHINWIS.

No comments: